Sunday, April 19, 2009

Candee

When I moved my art studio from upstairs to downstairs, it gave me the opportunity to mentally inventory my Works in Progress, of which I have more than I dare to admit. One of the projects that caught my attention,I had started back in Feb. 2007 - I had taken a workshop from a well-known doll artist, Christine Shively. What interested me in this workshop was that it was touted as a Collage Doll. We made our bodies from cotton, then stuffed and wired them. We then painted the entire body using a crackle paint technique; to give it an aged look. We were then told to make the clothing with paper. I started making the clothing, but it wasn't working for me and I just couldn't get inspired - so I put it aside. For the past year, I've been delving into paper crafts and have become really comfortable creating with this new-found media. So when I rediscovered the half done doll I went AHAH! I knew exactly what I was going to do! So here is "Candee".










But here is my AHAH-We had gotten boxes of candy for Christmas-Lindt truffles and Rochere truffles (don't know if I've gotten the names right). Well, I asked John and Jeff to save me the candy wrappers. I'm always saving things to repurpose them. The Rocheres were wrapped in gold foil and sat in little brown and gold paper cups. The Lindts were wrapped in foil/cellophane wrappings. I carefully straightened out the papers and flattened them with a brayer. So if you look again at the pictures, the gold is actually the foil papers, the skirt and ruffles at the wrist are the Lindt foil/cellophane. The little cups I put on her arms, at her shoulders, ankles and as the top layer of the skirt. Her hair adornment is also one. The buttons on her outfit are actually foil wadded up and formed into a button with a black jewel placed in the centers. I'm not pleased with her face-and will do some more work on her. Candee is not done yet-I must convey who she is and that part hasn't been done yet. After my friend Carolyn saw her and listened to my story about her clothing she said it reminded her of the Candy Man. That's what inspired me to call her Candee. When I completely finish her I will repost her picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment